Friday, December 24, 2021

 


Focus on the Doers

In so many ways
in too many words
the common refrain
echoes in several forms:
“I don’t want to.”
“You can’t make me.”
“It’s my choice, respect it.”
“I won’t trust my future to their promises.”

With freedom misunderstood
selfishness reigns
as “the common good” is replaced by
“what’s in it for me.”
Truths we thought would march on,
providing “liberty and justice for all”
have been mothballed
by unenlightened self-interest.

Better to focus
on the righteous old man
of whom it is written
“he did as the angel of the Lord commanded him.”
Choose the example
of the courageous young woman
who told her private messenger
“let it be to me according to your word.”

Having yielded rights
to welcome responsibilities
they became the first teachers
of the child entrusted to their care
as he learned his Father’s business
and grew up to say
“In everything do to others
as you would have them do to you.”

Doing what comes faithfully
work for the good of all
living like Jesus
who found the power to serve
down on his knees
yielding life to our Heavenly Parent:
“Not what I want but what You want,”
“Your will be done.”

 Have a Blessed Christmas!     James E. Thyren, © 2021



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Proof is in the Loving, a Sermon preached on Sunday, May 5, 2024 at First Presbyterian Church, Clarks Summit, Pennsylvania. The Scriptur...